Tuesday, April 5, 2011

My Top 10 Childrens Books

My kids love to read, just like their mom. We have TONS of books throughout our house and one of my kids can usually be found with a book sporadically during the day

Here's our Top 10




                                                 

1~ No, David! by David Shannon


even though David is a little ball of trouble, his mother never forgets to tell him she loves him!




2~ Tikki Tikki Tembo retold by Arlene Mosel
(this is a personal favorite of mine) My kids love saying the name Tikki-Tikki-Tembo-no-sir-rebo-cheri-beri-ruchi-pip-peri-pembo!! Its a fun name and teaches an important lesson of crying wolf

3~ Dog by Matthew Van Fleet
This book has all sorts of fun things for little ones to do. While it doesnt have a story line my kids love dogs so it immediately became a favorite. You can pet the dogs, wag tails and one dog even lifts his leg on the tree!

4~ On the Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman
 "the moon smiled with such wonder/ that the stars peeked in to see you/ and the night wind whispered,/ `Life will never be the same." I LOVE that so much and this book shows each child how important they are

5- No Bigger Than My Teddy Bear by Valerie Pankow

This book was given to my son while our daughter was in the NICU. It really helped him to understand why his sister was not home with us. HIGHLY recommend to any parent that has a child in the NICU and an older sibling at home


6~ Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
My son absolutely loves these books and has all of them . They teach lots of lessons and are funny at the same time

7~ Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
This book was a favorite of mine when I was a "younger" girl (haha) and Im glad that my son also enjoys it.
It is such a great story of courage and friendship.


8~ Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary
(This was also a favorite book of mine and my son enjoys it as well. I love that we both enjoy the same books as children. Im hoping the girls do as well)
This book should help ant child who feels lost or troubled. You can always write to someone to get the feelings out. Even if you "licked" his book


9~ Brown Bear by Bill Martin Jr./ Eric Carle
LOVE the colors in this book. I read this over and over to my kids and they all learned their colors really quickly.


10~ My very favorite book. I recieved this book when I was pregnant with my son. I couldn't stop crying. the story is so powerful and portrays the beginning of life to the end of life. A Mother and her new baby, the new baby turning into a man and taking care of his mother.

(these books can be found at Slimybookworm.com)

4 comments:

Shara: Mommy Perks said...

I remember reading Dear Mr. Henshaw when I was a kid. It was a such a nice book!

Julie Niles Petersen said...

My eighteen-year-old nephew just asked me the other day if I was the one who read Tiki Tiki Tembo to him when he was a child. He recently discovered the band, Bassnectar, and the lyrics to the song are the boy's name. Although I would not say the music is exactly my cup of tea, I absolutely love that the song is based on this book and that my nephew remembered that I read this book to him so many years ago! :)

Have a listen if you're interested: href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq_Sko8wW6U"

Julie

Baby D's Mama said...

Love you forever is the sweetest book ever!!
Thanks for the list of book ideas for the future!

Bola said...

Thanks Party of Five for the Slimy Bookworm mention